Thursday, November 17, 2011

GETTING TO SOUP – WHAT IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?


        Funny story – well, not like funny haha, but…
        Anyway, so I’ve mentioned how listening to Mouth Off was part of what kicked me in the tush and said, seriously, when are you going to do some of this? Well, it was also on Mouth Off that I heard about “Soup to Nuts,” Bill Hare’s a cappella production “summer camp,” which Dave Brown attended and featured on the show (whence comes my favorite hip-hop a cappella track on my iPod, “Royalty”). The multi-day seminar title is an expression meaning the very beginning to the very end and everything in between, referring to multi-course meals that begin with soup and end with nuts.
        I found it ironic that as I sat listening to and envying Dave, although it’s called “Soup to Nuts,” I still don’t feel I meet the prerequisites. Though I don’t necessarily dream of attending the course, I do wish I could qualify. And that includes everything, not just a cappella. I have this vision of myself as a Renaissance Man living this fantastical life, and I have such a long way to go before even reaching the beginning of that.
        So that’s what Getting to Soup is all about. The adventure that leads to the adventure. The prequel. The Hobbit. It also works well with the expression, “Is it soup, yet?” to which the obvious answer is, “No, not yet, but I’ll let you know.” And also, I really like soup. I just had soup for lunch, a very homestyle chicken noodle from the cafeteria that could have been really good, but for the noodles having been boiled almost to disintegration. But I ate every drop, because like I say, I love soup that much, plus that was two dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment